Sunday, January 08, 2006

My (mis)adventures in December

Most of my winter break was spent in my room staring at my screen and trying to make sense on the functions that seem to be created by aliens. I wondered why I need to learn Excel at all. Oh don't you be clever by saying that I need that when I start working. I believe that when the time comes when I have to hit the job market, there'll be more advanced softwares to help us and thus any skills you've picked up in university would not be of use anymore. But when I was able to finish up the assigment, I was sooo thankful I swear I thought I love the subject and ready to be called a computer geek anytime soon. So I'm not that bad after all, or I wish I wasn't. (Note that I wasn't able to complete the assignment without the help from fellow coursemates and MSN messenger)

So another thing I did while everyone else went to Spain, Turkey and other brilliant places, was spending time in Glasgow. And I went skiing! Loved it to bits too. The three hours simply was not enough but I was having the best time in my life. The bitter wind and falling down simply did not stop me. By the time we had to go, I knew I'd do this again sometime.

And there's another thing too. I came back to Warwick alone. It started the night when we were all ready to sleep in the Mosque, and suddenly it hit me: Go back to Warwick tomorrow. And I told Siti, funny thing she wasn't surprise. The next morning, I woke up early, at 5, got ready, packed my bags, and after Subuh and breakfast, I hit the road. Seriously I didn't even know where or what the bust station was called. I didn't even have any cash with me. So at 10 am in Glasgow, I was pulling my back on the icy roads trying to find a cash point. Found one, asked for directions to the bust station from a lady, only to be told that she didn't know. O-kayy. So I walked some more. Then I realised, just take a taxi, clever girl! It appeared that the Buchanan Bus Station was just a 10-minute drive from where we slept so after paying him, I went in and got my ticket. I had to try to fake a smile when the lady said it was 41.50 pounds, Ya Allah mahalnyaaa. I need it anyway. Still one hour away before the depart time so I decided to look at the shops around there. Bought a pair of mules and its pink and some books the Ottaka had for sale.

When I got back to the station, saw two tudung clad girls and I actually recognised one of them as Sakinah; someone I knew from UTP, though I knew she didn't even know me. (just realised that I didn't even remember the other girl's name). They were actually on their way to Manchester after a trip to somewhere else and studying in Dublin. Talked about some random stuff before I heard that the bus was there. Said goodbyes and went on the bus before realising that there's actually a bus straight to Coventry!

The bus stopped at the Motorway Services at a place called Lake District near Cumbria and I went to buy some chocolates and realised that everything they had there was actually more expensive compared to the normal stores. Well, the same thing in Malaysia too, the things sold at RNR in the highway are more expensive than in your local shops. Abah said this is because they had to pay for more tax and the rent is super-costly to operate there. So I settled at the till with a box of Maltesers and a packet of home-made chocolate muffin. I had no idea whether we were near Birmingham or not but when it was getting dark, I felt so stupid for not getting the ticket straight to Coventry. Now surely I'd have some problems getting a bus in Birmingham.

After getting off from the bus in Birmingham, I did not waste anymore time. I might as well be running in the dark(er) streets to go to the Market near Bull Ring (the only place where to wait for a bus that I knew of, having been there just once a couple of days back). Asked a bus driver where to wait for a bus to Coventry and when he himself appeared to have no clue an old angry-looking man told me that it's actually far down the road. The way he was telling me I swear he thought I was deaf but I though he was actually a nice man. I had to walk down the path to go there and I was simply both embarrassed and relief when all the way the same old man was directing me from on the bus. Now either he felt sorry for me or he thought I had lost my way home and looked terrified. Either way I was thankful I had asked the driver in the first place. And then after failing to get a bus I thought why didn't I get a train? Oh I didn't even know where the train station was. I walked and walked and until I got to the train station that was actually not the one which have trains to Coventry. Yes, New Street Hannim, and this isn't the one. Then I thought buy a phonecard and call someone and to my dismay, the guy in the shop refused to accept my money because it's from Scottish Bank, for heaven's sake, it's still pounds I told him and he simply shook his head. And he didn't even accept bank cards. Oh well. I went out and walked faster through the dark tunnels to New Street Station.

The ticket guy wrongly gave a return ticket and I was too lazy to tell him that I need a single one as he probably had a busy day himself so I just walked away. At the patform I saw a train and without even sure that it was the right train I just hopped in barely three minutes before it took off. I was sure Milton Keynes was somewhere in London and it had to go through Birmingham somehow and yes, I was right. I was in the first class all the time and no one else was there. Ok now, don't fall asleep or I'd miss the stop. The conductor came and I apologised saying I was supposed to be in the Third Class and got up to leave, to which he replied "Don't worry about it, it's just a few stops away." I swear he was cute too.
=)

When I reached Warwick, it was already 8.45pm and I couldn't help thinking of one thing: All the time since morning, there wasn't a tinge feeling of scared in me. Seriously from the moment I realised that I didn't know where the bus stop was to where the train was taking me, or even when I was walking alone in the tunnel to New Street Station, I didn't feel that I was alone, I knew Allah was always with me. And I knew anywhere in the world when you are feeling lonely and about to lose direction, He will surely help you out. And I am thankful for that.

No comments: