Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Bloody Day

It is a bloody day today. I woke in the morning, quite late by my standard and automatically recalled that it is a BIG day today. The Day has finally arrived. Many of us has been waiting impatiently for today and nothing can ever stop me. No. Nothing.

Finishes class quite early, many free blocks now since the exams are coming just in a month's time. At exactly 10.35, we, the enthusiasist ones, quickly made our way to join the mass of people in the Great Hall. Yes, I am going to be a good citizen today, i told myself. I couldn't climb Mount Everest to make my country proud of me, nor had i taken more that 9 subjects in SPM to ensure everyone in the country talk about me day and night. My time has passed (For SPM that os, as for Mount Everest, i don't think anyone would sponsor me some 2million to let me go there, me?Everest? You must be joking). But today, I would at least feel that I could somehow do some good to others.

So, I eagerly took the form, took out my newly-bought pen and filled the form without taking off the smile on my face. Many people have already been there, so I wasn't the first, and it looked like I have to wait until it's my turn. Usually I hate waiting, but not today. They can ask me to wait as long as they want, and i wouldn't complain.

There, here comes my turn now. The three inspections have passed rather quickly and now it's time. An empty bed is waiting for me and a familiar young girl in white is there. I lied on the bed and the young girl in white started her job. My friend Azizah, or better known as Jij was on the next bed and she had started earlier but it seemed to me there was some problem on her side. Luckily mine was smooth flowing, and it felt nothing, like u've been bitten by an ant.

In less than 3 minutes, another lady, this time a middle-aged, also dressed in white tended to me and hastily asked me to stop pumping. (Theres this band we have to grip and pump to make the process smoother). But nothing worried me. From my previous two experiences, it was soo easily done, it took less than 5 minutes (if not lesser) in both ocasion. I was right, this time is no xception either. She commented something on how smooth flowing mine is, so I was meant to do this regularly. I would, I told her. I love it. My fear towards the sick smelling medicines and nurses and needles and ultimately blood have done nothing to stop me from doing this.

We exchanged thanks, and there i was, up and full of energy. Not to mention the merry feeling of having done some good in the only way i could. I hope i could help someone's life, if not more by doing what i've done. I've donated my blood today, and probably more in the future, how about you?

"Donate Blood, Save A Life, You'll never know when u'll need it''

p/s: I'm O+, so I am a universal donor.

No comments: